How GIF Helps
The Foundation provides funding in the form of grants to teachers, staff and community members. Programs funded in the past include:
- Special in-service training for new teachers prior to the start of the regular school year.
- Attendance of staff members at educator's conferences, methods seminars, or other professional development activities.
- Tuition grants for children to attend Goethe House German language summer program.
- Funding for educational and cultural activities to enhance student trips abroad.
- Funding for interns from Germany to work with students in the schools as teaching assistants.
- Support for school families hosting interns from Germany.
Foundation grants are evaluated by a Grants Review Committee, which is comprised of school staff members, a school administrator, and Foundation board members to ensure only the most beneficial programs are funded. The Foundation is flexible in the types of requests it will consider. All grant proposals must be consistent with the Foundation's mission of furthering educational excellence at the schools.
2008 Grant Awards
Our goal at the German Immersion Foundation (GIF) is simple: to provide the
extra support necessary to maintain and build excellence in a German
Immersion program that has won national and international acclaim. In 2008,
the Foundation provided over $23,000 in grants. These grants included:
2007 Grant Awards
Our goal at the German Immersion Foundation (GIF) is simple: to provide the extra support necessary to maintain and build excellence in a German Immersion program that has won national and international acclaim. 2007 was a record year for the foundation with total grants awarded exceeding $59,000. These grants included:
- All new computers for the MGIS computer lab.
- New digital video projectors for the Milwaukee School of Languages (MSL).
- New materials for the Milwaukee German Immersion School (MGIS) library.
- Expanding the Amity Internship Program to MSL.
- Continued support of the Amity Internship Program at MGIS.
- Support for MGIS curriculum writing.
- Funding for Mueller Scholarship winners.
- Support for the MGIS 30th Anniversary celebration.
- Support for MSL math curriculum development.
- Funded the participation of four teachers at a Goethe House language immersion program in Casper, Wyoming.
- Support for staff to attend Language Immersion conferences
For more information on how to apply for GIF grants and the criteria used in evaluating grant requests, please click here